Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Eagle Valley Reservoir Nevada



Had a great trip to Eagle Valley Reservoir in mid June. I took my boys camping up there, Jared loves to catch trout and Kellen just loves camping, fishing and being outside. This was Kellen's first camping trip that he has been on since he was 1 1/2.

Water conditions were good. The water was cool, and the weeds were still pretty thin around the shore line. Weeds are good and bad, good because they attract fish and food, bad because it makes fishing from shore difficult. But in this case the water was fairly clear and very fish able. the weather was outstanding. Warm during the day about 80 and high 40s at night.

Now to the fishing. Most shore anglers were chucking bait of some kind, marsh mellows seemed to be the popular choice. And alot of fish were being caught. I personally don't like bait chucking, its boring, plus i wanted to try a new technique I read about, using jerk baits. So I rigged up two rapala x-rap's in the 3 inch model and olive/silver color scheme. And it worked, very well. We caught about 30 trout total in two days of fishing, some big and some small. We just cruised the shoreline and made casts to shore and parallel to the shore, just as if you are bass fishing with a jerk bait. The hits were very aggressive, and most trout stayed hooked after the hit! When the wind would calm down I would pull out the fly rod. Caught some nice trout on olive/white clouser and clouser half and half minnows. However these were not standard clousers. I tie my flies with synthetic hair instead of buck tail, it provides a more translucent look under water. I did ok with the fly rod, but it was so windy most of the time casting was very difficult. At certain times during the day even fishing with a spinning rod was hard due to the wind.

All in all it was a great trip. I wanted to experiment with jerk baits for trout and I got to. It is basically bass fishing for trout and is not only very effective for larger fish, but is fun. But most importantly its easy, my 9 year old son had the technique down after about 10 casts.

No comments:

Post a Comment