Monday, June 29, 2009

Not a great picture, but it's all I could find. This is 40-50lb Ahi (yellow fin tuna) that I caught off the North shore of Hawaii a couple years ago. A buddy of mine and myself where out fishing over some reefs in 40-70 feet of water trying to catch some medium sized GT's. We were throwing 6 inch poppers on the surface, mine was in a sardine color. About an hour into fishing I hooked this fish! I was only using 20lb line, so the fish took alot of it. He was bulldogging me and staying on the bottom, so we didn't actually know what kind of fish it was until I almost had the fish in the boat. Needless to say, it was a long fight. After almost an hour and a half of chasing the fish around in my boat and being spooled twice, I had the fish in the boat. Berkley Trilene line is good line! Man did that fish taste good on the BBQ!
In the spring in Hawaii it's not uncommon for some of the pelagic species of fish to come close to shore looking for food. So that explains how I hooked him. At the same time I was fighting my fish a kayak fisherman was hooked up as well. His Ahi was taking him for a sweet little ride in that kayak! Good times, I really enjoyed fishing in Hawaii when I lived on the islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment