Monday, June 29, 2009



This is a picture of my son with a nice little papio (blue fin trevally) that he caught in K-Bay on the island of Oahu. The other picture is of my daughter Marissa's first ever bone fish she caught. Both fish were caught on squid.
In the middle of K-bay there is a huge sand bar. At low tide some of the sand bar is exposed, at high tide depth on the sand bar ranges from ankle deep to about three feet. So as you can imagine many fish come up on the sand bar to feed, especially bone fish. The edge of the sand bar drops off really fast into about 20-40ft of water, depending on the area.
When I fished by my self I would walk the sand bar using a fly rod or if the wind was bad I would use a small jig and a spinning rod to chase bone fish. But when the kids came I would just anchor on the edge, chum up the water with squid over the drop off and then still fish with squid for bait. We caught bone fish, trevally, small flounder and what ever else swam by. It was great fun and a good way to fish with the kids. Plenty of action to keep them interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment